Mental Health Nursing Research Unit
The Mental Health Nursing Research Unit is a collaborative funded research partnership between NorthWestern Mental Health and Australian Catholic University and is located at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Key research themes
The unit conducts health services research with a focus on nurse-led mental health research under three key research themes:
- safety and wellbeing of consumers, carers and staff
- nurse-led models of care delivery
- mental health nurses meeting consumers’ physical health care needs
The unit conducts a range of projects under these themes, with a focus on innovative intervention implementation and evaluation.
A major funded project for the unit is an ARC Linkage project evaluating a resilience program for mental health nurses at Northwestern Mental Health. The collaborating partners are ACU, Queensland University of Technology, Monash University, University of Technology Sydney, NorthWestern Mental Health, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation, Department of Health and Human Services, and Health and Community Services Union.
The unit lead also collaborates on an NHMRC Partnership Grant for Improving health outcomes in children suffering major injury.
Prof Kim Foster
- Dr Trentham Furness, Research Fellow
- Lucia Villemagne Sanchez, Research Assistant
- Dr Louise Alexander, Early Career Researcher, ACU
- NorthWestern Mental Health
- Australian Catholic University