Crisis, care & treatment options
A summary of crisis, care and treatment options, within and outside NorthWestern Mental Health.
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners provides resources on mental health risk assessment for GPs
- beyondblue also provides useful resources for health professionals
Access our curated list of crisis services.
We encourage people wanting to discuss their mental health needs to contact their local GP first. The options we provide for consumers are:
- See your GP
- See a general counsellor
- See a private psychiatrist or psychologist
- Contact your local mental health community support service
- Contact a specialised support service
- Contact a public clinical mental health service
Access information about all NorthWestern Mental Health services.
Specialty treatment services
- Eating disorders at the National Eating Disorders Collaboration and The Butterfly Foundation
- Perinatal mental heath care at the Centre of Perinatal Excellence
- Child and young people mental health services (under 15)
Access information about NorthWestern Mental Health specialty services.
- National Health Services Directory to find a general counsellor psychologist, nurse, social worker, occupational therapist
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists to find a private psychiatrist
- Australian Psychological Society to find private psychologist
Access contact and location information for all our services.
- Better Access initiative has a suite of Mental Health Treatment Plans which can be used by GPs to assess and manage patients with mental illness, and provide referral pathways for treatment by private psychiatrists, psychologist and other allied health practitioners.