Stage 1 (first year) registrars
We focus on the recruitment of first year registrars (RANZCP Stage 1) and support them to complete their training with us over the years to come.
This is a crucial foundation year in psychiatry training and we look to employ those with a genuine interest in a fulfilling career in psychiatry and with broad ranges of interests across this field.
Our first year registrars traditionally rotate through two six month terms in our inpatient units (IPUs), based in one of our four Area Mental Health Services and Orygen. There is a rich and intensive learning experience with our IPU Consultants and multidisciplinary team.
During first year, our registrars also undertake foundation tutorials as a group, on interview skills, communication and mental state examination with senior consultant psychiatrists.
Dedicated training time to attend the Masters of Psychiatry program is highly valued and ensured on all IPUs.
First year registrars benefit from both the group teaching and collegial support with their immediate training group plus the broader registrar group in the AMHS where they are rotating – who all come together for Grand Rounds, Journal Clubs and other training opportunities.
- Completed a medical degree and be able to provide evidence of your qualifications
- Full general medical registration status with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) at the commencement of training (note that current interns are eligible to apply)
- Be eligible to work in Australia without employer sponsorship
- Ideally two years junior general medical or HMO experience
- Demonstrated effective communication skills including the ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the Melbourne Health values in your work: caring, excellence, integrity, respect and unity
- Current Australian State or Territory driver’s license
1. Submit online application to Melbourne Health
Applications are open until Friday 5 June 2020 - submit your application online.
2. Apply to the RANZCP
As well as applying to Melbourne Health, you also need to apply to the RANZCP College Victorian Psychiatry Training Committee (VPTC).
Without selection by the VPTC through their application process, you cannot be selected by Melbourne Health for a First Year Psychiatry Registrar position.
Find out more at the RANZCP.
3. Organise references
If you fulfil the essential criteria, you will be sent an link to provide the details of your three referees.
These referees must be:
- Consultants - ideally psychiatrists who you have worked with in the last 2 years
- Contactable via work email - personal email addresses will not be accepted
Your three referees will be sent a link to provide a secure and direct online reference. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees complete their online reference for you.
Your application will not be considered complete until all three referees have completed their online reference.
If you do not fulfil the essential criteria, you will not be shortlisted for interview or appointment.
4. Attend panel interview, if you are shortlisted
Applications are short-listed based on the selection criteria, cover letter, CV and references.
We will contact you to advise the date, time and location of the interview.
You will be interviewed by the NWMH First Year Registrar Selection Panel (4 members).
5. Await match outcome
A list of successful applicants is submitted to the RANZCP for matching, based on the consideration of:
- Selection criteria
- Written application (cover letter and CV)
- Three references
- Performance on panel interview
Applicants who are matched to work with us will be notified on the day and then be formally sent a contract and further information about starting work with us as a Stage 1 (first year) registrar.