Specialist International Medical Graduate (SIMG) program
We have a proud tradition of employing overseas trained doctors on the Specialist and Specialist Specified Training (SST) pathways with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP).
Psychiatry consultants/specialists from other countries generally start with us as SIMG senior registrars, on the RANZCP Partial Comparability pathway.
They work at senior registrar level with supervision and participate in the excellent exam preparation tutorials available to local registrars to assist in their exam preparation, as well as the opportunity to work with consultant psychiatrists across our network who are familiar with the SIMG experience and their unique training needs.
Those who need to undertake 1 - 2 years of additional training outside their country of origin can work as a senior registrar on the RANZCP SST pathway.
We are not able to employ those who have completed their training overseas as a consultant who do not yet have RANZCP fellowship, so do not have the capacity to employ SIMGs on the Substantial Comparability pathway.
Find out more about overseas specialist requirements from the RANZCP.
Find out about relocating to Melbourne.
1. Submit application to Melbourne Health
Make sure you:
- Upload a cover letter and CV
- Complete all required fields on this online application
- Complete the online declaration
2. Submit IMG Application Enquiry form
Submit an IMG Application Enquiry form plus a copy of your IELTS or equivalent.
3. Organise references
If you fulfil the essential criteria, you will be sent a link to provide the details of your three referees.
These referees must be:
- Consultants - ideally psychiatrists who you have worked with in the last 2 years
- Contactable via work email - personal email addresses will not be accepted
Your three referees will be sent a link to provide a secure and direct online reference. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees complete their online reference for you. Your application will not be considered complete until all three referees have completed their online reference.
If you do not fulfil the essential criteria, you will not be shortlisted for interview or appointment.
4. Attend panel interview
Applications are short-listed based on the selection criteria, cover letter, CV and references.
We will contact you to advise the date, time and location of the interview, plus there is the capacity to do this interview via Skype.
You will be interviewed by a two member panel comprising Chief Medical Officer and Director of Clinical Service.
Written applications (cover letter & CV), references and performance at interview will then be considered by the panel.
You will be advised of the outcome in the weeks following your interview.
We occasionally employ a limited number of IMG HMOs, but only consider applications from those IMG HMOs who have completed both parts for AMC examination process and have reasonable psychiatry experience at a post-graduate level.
We also employ those training within the RACGP and ACEM, who are wanting psychiatry experience during their pathway to fellowship as a GP or emergency physician.
We occasionally employ a limited number of IMG HMOs, provided they fulfil our selection criteria.
- Primary qualification in medicine and surgery awarded by a training institution listed in the current International Medical Education Directory (IMED) of the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), and so eligible to apply for assessment under the standard pathway with AHPRA
- Have already applied for primary source verification of their primary qualifications by the Australian Medical Council (AMC).
- Must have passed their AMC MCQ and clinical examinations
- Achieved a high standard on English language testing (eg. IELTS >8 band score) given the need for a high proficiency of English in psychiatric practice
- Meet the recency of practice standard with AHPRA, with no breaks in clinical practice
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in psychiatry via experience in psychiatry positions
- Demonstrated effective communication skills including the ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the Melbourne Health values in your work: caring, excellence, integrity, respect and unity
If you are successful in your application to work with us as a SIMG Registrar, Melbourne Health will provide sponsorship for a Visa 457.
This is a temporary visa which allows you to work full time at our main NWMH sites. It is the most commonly used visa for people coming to work here from overseas.
Find out more about Visa 457 at Department of Immigration.