HMOs & unaccredited registrars
We are actively recruiting HMOs who have an interest in joining the RANZCP psychiatry training program as a HMO or unaccredited registrar.
While we have always employed HMOs either directly or via the Medical Workforce Units of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, Western or Northern Health, we have more recently been actively recruiting HMOs who have an interest in joining the RANZCP psychiatry training program as a psychiatry HMO or unaccredited registrar.
HMOs employed directly by us work in positions on our Inpatient Units or general adult Community Teams. These positions are a wonderful opportunity to work in similar positions to our trainees and are supervised by experienced consultant psychiatrists who are enthusiastic to supervise those with a strong interest in psychiatry as a career and with a strong commitment to excellence in mental health care for our patients.
We view this year as an introduction to psychiatry training and therefore aim to employ those with experience in psychiatry and a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in psychiatry. We encourage all those who complete an HMO or unaccredited registrar year with us to then apply to join psychiatry training as a first year registrar in the following year.
- Completed a medical degree in Australia or New Zealand and be able to provide evidence of your qualifications
- Full general medical registration status with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Be eligible to work in Australia without employer sponsorship
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in psychiatry
- 1 to 2 years junior general medical experience
- Demonstrated effective communication skills including the ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the Melbourne Health values in your work – caring, excellence, integrity, respect and unity
Are you an IMG HMO?
Find out more about the IMG HMO selection criteria.
1. Submit application to Melbourne Health
Submit your application online using Melbourne Health's online recruitment system.
Make sure you:
- Complete all required fields within the online application form
- Upload a cover letter and CV
- Complete the online declaration
2. Organise references
If you fulfil the essential criteria, you will be sent an link to provide the details of your three referees. These referees must be:
- Consultants - ideally psychiatrists who you have worked with in the last 2 years
- Contactable via work email - personal email addresses will not be accepted
Your three referees will be sent a link to provide a secure and direct online reference. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees complete their online reference for you.
Your application will not be considered complete until all three referees have completed their online reference.
If you do not fulfil the essential criteria, you will not be shortlisted for interview or appointment.
3. Attend panel interview
- Applications are short-listed based on the selection criteria, cover letter, CV and references.
- We will contact you to advise the date, time and location of the interview.
- You will be interviewed by a two member panel – Chief Medical Officer and Director of Clinical Service.
- Written applications (cover letter and CV), references and performance on interview will then be considered by the panel.
- You will be advised of the outcome in the weeks following your interview.